How Mold in Your Home could be Making you Sick
Mold is everywhere. And there are many different types of molds. Not all of them are a serious health concern. In nature mold is a way of cleaning and breaking down animals and plant matter. But mold that grows inside your house can become dangerous. And there are people who are more at risk.
There are some who are allergic to mold, and they will have reactions much quicker. Some will only face small irritations like sneezing, runny nose, red eyes and a skin rash. But for others who are even more sensitive or who have asthma, they might experience respiratory problems, including shortness of breath.
Mold grows in your home from moisture that builds where it is not supposed to. But there are a few health problems that can come from prolonged mold in your home. If you don’t get the mold dealt with then it can lead to serious complications. Knowing some of the serious symptoms can help you to determine when it becomes urgent to find help. Since mold can be hidden, knowing the symptoms can be valuable.
Nausea and vomiting: If you are regularly feeling sick when you are at home then you could consider that there might be toxic mold that is making you sick. It happens because the toxins can attack your immune system and overwhelm it. Making you feel physically nauseous and making you vomit. If it happens often and there is no real reason that you should be feeling it, then it is a good idea to get a mold inspection.
Sore Throat: this is another red flag for mold spores inside the home. When they are floating in the air from mold that is building up somewhere in the house it can cause a sore throat. These spores and the toxins they carry attack the mucous membrane inside the throat and that can irritate it and lead to pain.
Watery eyes: If you constantly find that your eyes are watering inside your house and nowhere else then it could also be a major indication that you need to have a mold inspector come out and check your home. Watery eyes could be an indication of an allergy. And since mold can cause an allergic reaction in many people it can trigger an immune response in some.
A lot of pain: Mold poisoning can lead to the same painful symptoms that many other painful conditions can have. It can imitate symptoms like rheumatoid arthritis, migraines, irritable bowel syndrome and more. If your body keeps aching without having a pre-existing condition, then it might be because of mold in your home.
Fatigue: One that many people don’t realize can be a symptom of mold in the home is fatigue. We could imagine that breathing issues could be a symptom of mold. But most of us just attribute extra fatigue to our way of life, and we don’t always investigate the causes any further. But one of those causes could be that there is mold inside your home. Especially if the extreme feeling of tiredness continues for a lot longer than it should, then you might want to consider that it is mold making you tired. This is generally because some of the other symptoms can cause fatigue. If you are often woken up from coughing, even without your knowledge, then it can make you more tired during the day. Or illnesses from mold exposure, like pneumonia, can also lead to extra fatigue.
Rashes and skin infection: This one is a sign of black mold that is one of the worst kinds. It doesn’t always happen but one of the symptoms of black mold exposure can be a pink or brown rash that can show up anywhere on the skin. They could be itchy, or you might not feel them at all. And they could come and go often. It is not the type of rash that appears and then stays. You might notice it and then believe that everything is fine since it goes away on its own. Mold can also cause skin infections that can show up as unexplained sores.
Neurological Problems: In some extreme cases mold has led to the loss of motor skills and cognitive functions. The mold toxins can build up in the brain and lead to different neurological problems. This symptom can also be called toxic mold symptom. Other times there the effects of the mold poisoning can show up like depression and anxiety and it can also lead to feelings of listlessness. It can be a scary experience, but the good thing is that when the mold is treated, most people will also be able to be treated and get back to normal.
Mold-Induced Asthma: People who have asthma plus an allergy to mold could be the ones that are in the most danger. The reaction can be very severe and even life threatening. You need to make sure that in that case you do have an emergency plan. But even those that only have asthma or only have allergies can still react to breathing in airborne mold spores. And completely healthy people that breath in the mold can start to have experience trouble breathing and other signs of respiratory issues, like wheezing. If you experience any of these signs without any obvious reasons, then it could be safer to visit your doctor and then have your home checked.
Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis: This is rare but can be very dangerous since it is an inflammation of the lung due to breathing injuries. One of which could be caused by the exposure of toxic mold. Not many people do get it. But it can lead to permanent damage to the lungs.
Nosebleeds: There are many different causes to nosebleeds and only one of them is caused by mold buildup in your home. It can be as simple as dryness in your home or a sinus infection that irritates the nose. But if you aren’t prone to having them then it could be a good idea to watch out for this symptom.
Chronic Sinus Problems: Once again this final symptom can have many different causes but one of them is also caused by a prolonged exposure to mold. It can become so bad that you might even need surgery to clear it up.
Mold can be dangerous, but there are easy ways to treat them. Getting an inspection from our experts and their advice on the next steps can be one of the best ways to keep your family safe.