What is the process and where to begin repairing fire damage in a home?
A home fire, large or small can be one of the most horrific occurrences for homeowners. Damage and destruction can render you hopeless. The list of what to do can seem monumental and endless, with seemingly nowhere to begin. Once the main concern of safety has been accounted for, the process of restoration can begin. The how and where to begin are usually the first questions. In the event that this has happened to you, here is a brief and clear list of what needs to happen in order to repair fire damage in your home.
- In the cleanup process a great deal of assessment will take place. First and foremost a reliable, highly trained professional restoration service must be contacted. This resource will be a homeowner’s greatest support system and will surely help reduce the stress and anxiety of the tasks at hand. Within this first step, the degree of damage will be determined. Damage assessment is crucial as the full extent must be determined in order for a repair plan to be made. The restoration process must happen in a very specific order therefore the full scope of damage must be determined first.
- Second in the process is to confine and separate any weakened or unsafe areas. These portions can be large or small areas of the home, or possibly the entire home itself depending on the range of damage. This is amongst some of the most crucial steps in the process.
- Water removal: As standing water is most certainly remaining after a fire, a whole host of issues can arise with standing water in a home. If water remains in the home, it must be removed immediately, and the affected area dried as thoroughly as possible.
- As with the almost complete assurance that there will be residual water left after a fire, there will most certainly also be resulting residue from smoke and soot and can be highly toxic. The most insidious of residual effects, smoke and soot can and will permeate the furnishings and structure. A highly specialized and meticulous process of cleaning and sanitizing ceilings, floors, walls and all surfaces is necessary.
- Now comes the damage rescission process. This process varies considerably. This will directly depend on the scope of damage and may or may not be lengthy in it’s overall operation. This is the foundational assessment and rebuild and quite often possess the most long-lasting repairs. A meticulous and comprehensive resource is of utmost importance, this truly is not the time to cut any corners.
The bottom line is that the sooner the better cannot be stressed enough. Restoring your life and your home after a fire is the main focus. While life after a fire may not be exactly the same as pre-fire, the right kind of trusted and trained professionals surely can get you as close as possible. Heath, safety and peace of mind can be the residual effects with the proper resources at your side.